Churches can be strange places. Each one is so different at times I wonder if we have anything in common at all.
There are no spectators in church. That's what I tell our folks. We are all part of a team, like a football squad, we don't all play every week but each one of us has a role to play. the team is poorer when one is missing or not fulfilling their role.
I am delighted to have two elders. In our church Elders are appointed by the minister and serve at the ministers pleasure. ( very American sounding I know) . They were appointed by our predecessor and what a choice they were and still are. They still serve because they are the right people for the job. John and Roger are both successful business men with a wealth of knowledge. They both have great spiritual insights. John is our church finance officer. He spends hours looking after the church cash flow. All done quietly without any fanfare and he keeps the church ticking over. he also has a strong prophetic edge. Roger is our church secretary . He is a little quieter but when he speaks I listen. These guys are given the awesome responsibility of looking after Ann and me. They can speak into our lives and tell us if we mess up, they are there for advice and its not unusual for us to ring to talk over issues that arise from time to time.
We trust them.
So when Roger and I were talking last week about church growth and Roger started talking I started listening. He was telling me that we would continue to grow because there is Bread in The House.
By that he meant there was a real sense of God's presence in our church, not just our services, but all we aim to do and and there is good strong uncompromised teaching.
This week we came to the end of our 6 week Lent Course looking at the sayings of Jesus from the cross. I was amazed at the end when we were told just how good the teaching had been and more importantly how much our ministries are developing. You see there is Bread in the House.
Hungry people will be drawn to where there is food. There is Bread in this House.
Ann and I would never actively sheep steal;that is seek to get people to move churches to us. However we are equally aware that there are times that people need to be fed. There is Bread in this house.
No comments:
Post a Comment